Thursday, January 15, 2015

Introduction


Hey, my name is Dylan McNamara. I do not really know how to go about this, so I guess I will just randomly ramble about myself. I am from Dallas, however, I was originally born in Amarillo. I have two dogs named Zeus and Samson, both are Doberman and they are brothers (from the same liter). I graduated high school from Plano West Senior High in 2012. During my time in high school, I wrestled and played baseball. When I decided that I was going to come to The University of Oklahoma for college, my original plan was to graduate with a degree in Petroleum Engineering. It took two years for me to realize that this is not what I wanted to do. While I was interested in the oil and gas field and still wanted to pursue a career in it, I was growing bored and uninterested in the classes needed for Petroleum Engineering. After some thought and consideration, I decided to switch my degree to Petroleum Geology. That is where I am now. In hindsight, I am extremely glad that I made the switch. I now find myself interested in the curriculum and actually learning instead of just going through the motions necessary to earn a good grade. I am currently enrolled in mineralogy, calculus four, epics of India, physics two, and oceanography. Due to the workload of some of the classes which I am enrolled in for this semester, it is going to be a difficult task to achieve the grades that I want, but with enough work and effort, I should be able to get it done. I am ready to get into this class especially, it seems like it will be very interesting and I am excited to see what the books that we read have in store.

(Personal Image: Me when I was 2)

8 comments:

  1. Hey Dylan, nice to meet you! I’m from the DFW area too. How do you like it there? I enjoy living there although I only go back during long weekends or breaks now to see my family since I’m a full time student here at OU. I have a couple friends who are studying Petroleum Engineering and they say the course load is pretty rough! It’s good you found the right career path you want to take!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dylan,

    my parents recently moved to Frisco! It's a great area for shopping and restaurants. Do you get to go home often? I'm glad that you switched your major to something that you are more interested in. I think that's much more important than having a major that you think will lead to a high paying job or that your parents want you to take. I mean, if you're going to be paying for it you might as well enjoy it, right?

    Oceanography sounds interesting! Is that like marine biology or more about the makeup of the ocean? Either way, sounds like a cool class. I've always thought anything about the ocean was fun to learn about. I wasn't able to take any marine classes while at OU, but I did take a couple in high school.

    P.S. I'm digging the overalls! Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dylan! Thats good you switched majors and decide what you really wanted to do. You seem like a busy student. What year are you? Oceanography sounds interesting and your baby picture is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dylan! Glad to hear you found the right major for you! It can be really tough knowing what you want, and making such an important life decision as a senior in high school or freshman in college is a pretty crazy societal expectation in my opinion. I also changed career paths, just this past semester in fact! I was luckily able to keep my major—which is amazing because I LOVE my classes. But I found a different specific career path which allows me to skip graduate school (thankfully!) and still be doing something I am excited about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dylan, nice to meet you! I love your dogs names, and Zeus especially sounds like he is a beast. Your major seems interesting. What is the main difference between Petroleum engineering and Petroleum Geology? I am not a science guy, but it sounds like engineering would just be more math and stuff. Either way you have picked a great major, and will be successful in the future. Your class schedule looks challenging. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dylan!

    I am curious as to what position you played in baseball! I played softball (I was a pitcher) until I was 18 years old and had a few opportunities to play Division 1 in college, but opted out seeing as I wanted to go into Chemical Engineering. I appreciate the choice that I made because as you probably know, engineering and science majors can spend quite a bit of time studying. I have taken a couple courses that you are currently in (Calculus 4 and Physics 2)...both of which are not my favorite. You will probably like them though! I like stick to my Chemistry 

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my best friends in college was from Amarillo, Dylan - so the last time I was in Amarillo was for her wedding, a gazillion years ago! And how cool that you are doing minerology; I was just writing on Will's Intro post about the oil core lamps that my grandmother had around her house and how I've been fascinated by rocks and minerals ever since then. There are some cool geography and geology aspects to this class (stories about mountains, that kind of thing) which I hope you will enjoy! And there are some famous gemstones from India, like the way the hero Aswatthama was born with a gemstone in his forehead that gave him supernatural powers. You'll meet up with him in the Mahabharata! And the most famous gem in Hindu mythology is the Syamantaka jewel - maybe you might even want to look at that as a possible Storybook project! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Petroleum is a great field to be in! However, I do not know the difference between Petroleum geology and Petroleum Engineering. Wow, all those classes sound very difficult. I'm glad you were able to find the field you are interested in after switching your major. You're going to be very successful in the future with your degree, Good luck with everything, Dylan!

    ReplyDelete